Monday, February 27, 2017

a test of willpower

When I brought forth this gift to the blogging world, one of the first things I said was I did not want this to become a space for political ranting all the time.  This having been said, the 24/7 comedy show coming out of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue has made it difficult to stay away from my plea into the ether for sanity.  I must, however, find some balance; therefore, I will use this post to see if I can put together at least two or three paragraphs without resorting to presidential bashing, especially now that I have already outright called for his impeachment and for him and his cronies to be tried for treason.  I mean, there really isn't much wiggle room for me after that, is there?

We therefore present a few words having nothing whatsoever with calling the president a fascist dictator, a megalomaniac, or a psychopath, other than in this sentence, as after all, this is my blog, and I just cannot help myself.  Come to think of it, I sort of bashed him in the previous paragraph as well.  I need meds.

One of the best things about living in the New York area is that there is no shortage of outlets for entertainment.  After all, there are the Knicks, who appear to be bent on being the only thing out there that can possibly outdumb the administration -- there, I did it again.  Well, they stood pat through the trade deadline, threw out some pablum about how they had the team they needed to win -- and then immediately released one of their front line players, saying he deserved to latch on with a winner.  The guys they clearly do not want on the team are still there.  Putting aside the fact that there is nobody out there who believes that anyone on this team deserves anything based upon the way they have played this year, one must believe that if this guy was so great they could have traded him and gotten something back in return, rather than just let him go for nothing.  Then again, "good for nothing" might as well be the team slogan this year.

Don't like sports?  Well, we do have our mayor, who is trying his darnedest to beat anyone in Washington to a comfy eight by ten room with very secure bars on the windows for the next three to five years, which would really be a feat.  The truly amazing thing about mayoral politics in New York after watching this guy for the last three years is that in a city of nearly nine million people, you would think that there is at least one person who not only thinks he has what it takes, but who would even be viewed at least one person not his or her mother as a credible candidate.  Nine million people.  Nine billion cockroaches.  We have just as many credible people running for mayor in New York as we have cockroaches.  Then again, most of the higher quality cockroaches have moved to Washington and joined the administration there.

Does that last line count against me?

Mayoralty politics not your thing?  Okay, we do have the best restaurants in the world.  Then again, the website www.eater.com does publish what it calls the New York Restaurant Scandals of the Year.  Kind of like a smorgasbord of who is going down next, just like which member of the cabinet will flee or be forced to resign, but paired with a really great cabernet.  Ok, the bottle and label are great.  The stuff inside is recycled from some bathtub on the lower east side.   Just like half of his cabinet.

I suppose we could just hop mass transit and take a tour of the City.  We do have hop on hop off buses, just like real cities in Europe.  Perhaps we could try mass transit and enjoy the fun and games of trying to avoid having a paranoid schizophrenic push us into the path of an oncoming train.  Or maybe I'll just take in a show.  Then again, going to a show these days means having to refinance my house.  Maybe I should just stay home, turn on the television to the Food Network, and pull the sheets up over my head.

Did I mention that the president sucks?

No comments:

Post a Comment